Dr. Stephen Coker and our team offer oral surgery to help correct problems with your oral health and restore your mouth and jaw to full function. We invite you to call Parkway Dental at 919-380-9622 for more information about oral surgery and schedule your consultation with our talented dentist.
Oral and maxillofacial surgeries are special areas of dentistry concerned with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of congenital or acquired diseases; dysfunction, defects, or injuries of the mouth, jaws, face, neck, and associated regions.
Some of these issues are:
- When Teeth Are Lost – When a tooth must be extracted due to trauma, bone loss, or other reasons, implants may be placed in the bone if your dentist determines that you are a good candidate for implants.
- Impactions – The wisdom teeth, or third molars, are the most frequently impacted teeth due to lack of space in the jaw. In most cases, wisdom teeth that do not erupt into proper alignment should be extracted.
- Jaw Alignment – Oral surgery can correct cases where the jaw bones are under- or overdeveloped. Cases where the upper or lower jaw grows either too much or too little and/or the lower jaw grows too much or too little can be surgically corrected and realigned.
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) – The joint in front of the ear where the lower jaw pivots is a common problem area. Problems with this joint can cause headache and continuous pain. Lesser cases can be corrected with medication, therapy, and splints. However, more serious cases may require reconstruction of the joint.
- Biopsy – When there is a suspicious growth or changed appearance of a section of tissue in the mouth, a biopsy will be performed to determine the origin of the lesion.
- Facial Trauma – Oral surgery can help in cases of facial trauma that results from accidents or facial genetic malformation of the jaw and face.
For more information and oral and maxillofacial surgery and to make your appointment with our dental professionals, please contact our practice today.