Your child’s first dental visit can be as early as age one. Under age four, however, we would recommend your child visit a pediatric dentist. The pediatric dentist is better equipped to care for children at such a young age. Feel free to contact our office for a referral or to discuss where your child’s first dental visit should be scheduled. At about age four your child will be ready to join the rest of the family at Parkway Dental! To make your child’s first appointment at Parkway Dental with Dr. Stephen Coker in Cary, North Carolina, call Parkway Dental at 919-380-9622.
Here are some Dos and Don’ts for your child’s first dental appointment:
- Have a tour of our dental office by coming in for a casual, friendly, get acquainted visit and checkup.
- Make an appointment for a visual check of your child’s teeth.
- Have a discussion with us about oral health care for your child.
- Familiarize your child with our dental office. Consider taking them along when you or a sibling has a dental appointment.
- Wait for an emergency for the first visit.
- Over prepare your children for dental visits.
- Use phrases like “It won’t hurt much” or “It won’t be too bad.” Such phrases do not soothe; they only create anxiety.
For more tips on how to prepare your child for his or her first appointment with the dentist, please contact our office. Our friendly team wants to help your child build a positive, trusting relationship with us, and will be happy to provide you with additional ideas and information.